Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Autopackage Test Run

I AM IMPRESSED!!!

ok... i decided to take Autopackage for a test run over the weekend, and downloaded the Firefox package file from autopackage.org

I then removed firefox installation.

All i had to do was make the downloaded .package file executable with chmod +x, and i ran it at the prompt.

It went ahead, downloaded the base autopackage package, installed it, downloaded the gtk autopackage manager installed it, then it installed firefox for me. (I had been rather worried about this stage, since i had not found any link to downloading autopackage itself on the website)

All very smooth and painless. Tha's my definition of cool.

I seriously believe its can be the perfect answer to software installations on linux, and can serve as a good Desktop Linux tool.

I'm going to start planning work (only for now), on my perfect distro which is a combo of ArchLinux+E17+Autopackage+A_Couple_Of_Utilities_I_Will_write(tm)

Ahh... who wanted to know why i loved Opensource?

GO FIGURE!!!

1 Comments:

At Friday, April 08, 2005 1:35:00 PM, Blogger Mfoniso said...

I see GNU/linux's ease of use is getting better and better, getting closer and closer to the average user's idea of ease. I think that's really good. More and more people are actually gonna get to use this thing.

I think autopackage is a major step in that direction. Way to go guys! And hey you, hurry up with that ideal distro.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home