Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Webless Web Interactions

I think that somehow, WWW has almost downplayed the importance of email as an application. Well, coporate users know that email is probably the most important of all network applications, but some other people don’t feel this.

Take me for a quick example, I’m probably your typical techie, but somehow, never really caught on the idea of blogging, until recently. When I did, I encountered my age old reluctance of logging onto a website to fill in information. This is very pronounced since I don’t have a fast link to the internet.

Well.. once again email comes to the rescue, and now I don’t have to log in to a website to fill in my blog and make it available to all.

I think that for coporate users, these kinds of applications are very important. Those that allow you to do work, without changing much of your working habit/setup.

This is also why I strongly believe that webservices and XML are going to explode slowly at first, but surely, into some very nifty applications that no one, I mean ABSOLUTELY no one is even thinking about right now.

I’m kinda hoping I’ll be the first one to bring up that idea J

4 Comments:

At Thursday, January 20, 2005 5:49:00 PM, Blogger Stan said...

This is pretty interesting. A few years ago, statistics might've agreed with you. Right now, the popularity (and importance) of the web is unquestionable, as several independent studies have show. Check out one of them at: http://www.risq.qc.ca/survey/1/internet/int_trois.html - 61.2% of respondents claim the web as their number one service, compared with 33.6% for email. What is even more interesting is that women email more than men (43.5%/31.9%), while there're more men on the web than women (62.9%/51.0%). Care to hazard a guess why?

 
At Thursday, January 20, 2005 9:57:00 PM, Blogger Essien Ita Essien said...

Yeah... stan, you're right. The findings are accurate i guess... i mean these guys get paid right? :) But I wonder about coporate users... what the statistics would be.

And noting that in some countries like Nigeria for instance, a lot of quasi-coporate bodies use free mail like Yahoo and thus use WWW to access Email.

I'm ALMOST ready to bet YOUR left toe :) that Email will top among coporate users. I'm also wondering what would happen to that statistic if not for the Miracle of Google. Or I finally write that program I want to write, that makes Google a command line service, and that program becomes a big hit (Ohh... Do I really Wish :D).

All in all... still nice thoughts :)

 
At Friday, January 21, 2005 12:28:00 AM, Blogger Stan said...

Most corporate organizations (as you well know) discourage web access - that would be the reason for email being more popular. This is of course discounting corporate intranets, most of which have one portal/web application or another (usually including webmail). The web is simply too important to discount.

As for your command-line Google...what exactly is your definition of the web? Would your command-line interface communicate using HTTP? If so, congratulations - you've just extended the web :-D Face it, email's beat.

 
At Friday, January 21, 2005 11:31:00 PM, Blogger Essien Ita Essien said...

Well... maybe I should say Email vs WWW, but browser based web vs Non browser based Internet. That might actually be a better way of saying what I'm trying to say. You're right...WWW is of EXTREME importance, but does it have to be via a browser?

I'm really thinking of WWW via consoles, commandlines, and other means, especially with the magic of Web Services.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home